Flex: IFrame has a new home

I have moved the IFrame to be hosted on Google Code.

There are a few reason for this.

The current version is one submitted from Ryan Bell who is developer at Fusion Media Interactive. Ryan is the latest in a line of people who have taken the time to try and improve the component. Many thanks to him and to all the others who have submitted changes/fixes.

As noted on the new site in future if you want to submit a change to the IFrame then it will have to come with a Flex demo which shows off the particular feature you have added. It’s a bummer I know but really I ย don’t have time to put these sort of things together so no demo no update. Flex is a doddle to write in and it will take you ten minutes of your time!

All references to code on this site will gradually be moved to the Google Code site. So in future this is where you can find it.

Comments

11 Responses to “Flex: IFrame has a new home”

1. corey on October 31st, 2008 8:26 pm

Great code. just what Im looking for! The only issue I have is because IFrame is loading with the JS it is sitting on top of everythign on the displayObject list. So, I have a menu with sub menus that branch out over the IFrame but they are always under it due to the position of the Iframe in the JS. Any way around this?
    thanks again!
    Corey

2. Administrator on October 31st, 2008 9:31 pm

Corey,

Alas, there is no way to display flex/flash elements over the iframe windows.

Might be worth reading over the FAQ on the Google Code page linked above. There are some other ‘gotchas’ you might come across.

Basically you will have to design you application in a way that avoids pulldown menus and popups over the iframe.

Have a look at the sample applications linked to on the Google Code page. You will see that I have spread the views across a number of tabs and only use buttons to trigger interaction.

No way round this I am afraid ๐Ÿ™

Al

3. corey on October 31st, 2008 9:59 pm

bummer!

4. harley on February 9th, 2009 7:09 pm

hi. thanks for all the work, i posted on google code, so sorry for the double posting.

I am trying to use the iframe with the esri’s flex viewer framework.
    I can provide an export of the flex project i am working on if you have time.

I am running into issues though as the below error indicates:
    TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
    at mx.utils::URLUtil$/getProtocol()[C:autobuild3.2.0frameworksprojectsrpcsrcmxutilsURLUtil.as:199]
    at com.coenraets.deitte.rutherford::IFrame/createChildren()[F:projectsAS3MapsFlexViewer1.8srccomcoenraetsdeitterutherfordIFrame.as:400]
    at mx.core::UIComponent/initialize()[C:autobuild3.2.0frameworksprojectsframeworksrcmxcoreUIComponent.as:5370]
    at mx.core::Container/initialize()[C:autobuild3.2.0frameworksprojectsframeworksrcmxcoreContainer.as:2526]
    at mx.core::UIComponent/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::childAdded()[C:autobuild3.2.0frameworksprojectsframeworksrcmxcoreUIComponent.as:5267]
    and the errors continue on.

any Idea?

5. harley on February 9th, 2009 7:19 pm

oh.. for the logging to work, would around line 193 need to point to my package path?
    this is what’s at line 193:
    private static var logger:ILogger = Log.getLogger(“com.plus.arutherford.ccgi.IFrame”);

6. ariel sommeria on April 22nd, 2009 7:57 am

Hi,
    I just posted some addtionnal info regarding zooming with IFrames. I didn’t see the contact page on google code, so here I am!
    cheers,
    Ariel

7. Administrator on April 25th, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi Ariel, Nice work. This would make a nice addition to the existing frame source. I would stick in the attribution to yourself of course at the top.

8. Simon Bailey on June 15th, 2009 3:43 pm

Hi,

Thanks for all your hardwork. I have had your IFrame working no problem with the standard wrapper in Flex, however, when I use the SWFObject logic as a wrapper it fails ๐Ÿ™ any examples with how to use IFrame and SWFObject?

Cheers,

Simon

9. Simon Bailey on June 15th, 2009 4:23 pm

Ahhh after more digging this is odd, the iframe seems to get pulled out of the Flex application container and put into the html wrapper? WTF

10. Simon Bailey on June 15th, 2009 4:39 pm

Ok sorry for clogging the page up here with my comments, it appears I was wrong. IFrame creates and adds the div, so its not getting ripped out of flex, just not pushed into flex?

11. Administrator on June 24th, 2009 11:31 pm

Simon, I’m not sure if you’ve still got a question or not. The iframe uses a trick to make an opaque hole in the flash surface. Into this it orientates an html div. Where does the SWFObject come into this?